The way a child responses to a traumatic event correlates to the child’s future and well-being. The RPA Resiliency Collective is working to reduce the exposure to traumatic events and build resiliency in children to help keep their futures bright and successful.
The Roanoke Prevention Alliance Resiliency Collective is committed to reducing the exposure to and impact of trauma by increasing resiliency of youth and families in the City of Roanoke.
What is Trauma, ACEs, and Resiliency?
Trauma: an event, series of events, or set of circumstances that is experienced by an individual as physically or emotionally harmful or life threatening and that has lasting adverse effects on the individual’s functioning and mental, physical, social, emotional, or spiritual well-being .
ACEs: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are stressful or traumatic events, including abuse or neglect. ACEs are strongly associated to the development and prevalence of a wide range of health problems throughout a person’s lifespan, including substance misuse, depression, and many other illnesses and disorders .
Resiliency: is the ability to withstand, adapt to, and recover from adversity .
The Resiliency Collective is working to increase resiliency as a direct prevention effort to counter the effects of Adverse Childhood Experiences, ACEs, and trauma. A collective impact is a framework to tackle deeply entrenched and complex social problems. It is an innovative at structured approach to making collaboration work across government, business, philanthropy, non-profit organizations and citizens to achieve significant and lasting social change .
Five Conditions to Collective Impact Success:
Mutually Reinforcing Activities
- Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare
- Boys and Girls Clubs of SWVA
- Brain Injury Services of SWVA
- Carilion Clinic
- Child Health Investment Partnership of the Roanoke Valley
- Children’s Trust
- City of Roanoke CSA
- Family Services of Roanoke Valley
- Family Wellness Initiative
- Goodwill Industries of Roanoke Valley
- Mental Health America of Roanoke Valley
- Office of Attorney General
- Rescue Mission
- Roanoke City Department of Health
- Roanoke City Department of Human and Social Services
- Roanoke City Department of Juvenile Justice
- Roanoke City Police Department
- Roanoke City Public Schools
- Roanoke Parks and Recreation
- Salvation Army
- United Way of Roanoke Valley
- Virginia Tech Center for Public Health Practice and Research
- YMCA of Roanoke Valley
- Youth Advocate Programs, INC
Resources and Articles:
- Collaboration for Impact. The Collective Impact Framework.
- Earls, M., (2018). Trauma-Informed Primary Care: Prevention, Recognition, and Promoting Resilience. North Carolina Medical Journal. 79(2) 108-112. 19 March 2018.
- Kimple, K., and Kansagra, S., (2018). Responding to Adverse Childhood Experiences: It Takes a Village. North Carolina Medical Journal. 79(2) 95-98. 19 March 2018.
- SAMHSA. (2018). Adverse Childhood Experiences. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 9 July 2018.
- SAMHSA. (2018). Trauma and Violence. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 7 May 2018.